A limited space shouldn’t deter you from creating a small but beautiful en-suite bathroom. En-suites can be crafted using an existing space, such as a walk-in wardrobe, or constructed using partition walls inside a bedroom.
Making the most of a small space
Whilst an en-suite should include at the very least a toilet and sink, even the most petite of spaces can include a shower. Walk-in showers come in an array of shapes and sizes to suit the most minimal of areas. Showers don’t have to be confined to the corner of the room, as a D shaped unit can be situated in the middle of the wall. Should you have limited space for a door to open fully, try a hinged one. You could even convert the en-suite into a functional wet room. These types of en-suite bathrooms have a central drain in the floor and unenclosed showers, making them highly contemporary and functional.
If you have room, a ‘slipper bath’ is a stylish and modern addition to your en-suite bathroom. They are traditionally shorter than typical bathtubs, and can fit into a reduced space with minimal effort. The high side enables people to rest their backs, soothing away the days stresses and making the bathing experience a pleasure.
Small touches, big impact
There are a number of other ways in which you can maximise the space in an en-suite bathroom:
- Floating fittings such as under sink cabinets expose more of the floor and give the illusion of more room.
- If you can, try adding a skylight. More natural light will open up the room, giving it a light and airy feel.
- Go for light coloured fittings, as dark colours make a small space look more cramped and boxy.
- Use free standing storage for bottles and towels, as being able to move them about will result in more space being made available.
- Using tiles of the same shade on both the walls and floor will give the room a more expansive feel.
En-suite bathrooms are one of the biggest attractions for home buyers, and can add significant value to your home. The initial outlay of creating your en-suite will have a big return in the future, should you sell your home.
Now you know what you CAN do with an en-suite – why not go and create the en-suite you always dreamed of!